Get ready for the ultimate lunch lady special: Sloppy Joe’s! These vegan sloppy joe’s are made with lentils, a great source of plant based protein. Once you try this easy vegan recipe, you will not miss the real thing!
I had a lot of fun making these you for all, I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. They are not that time consuming, taking no more than 30 minutes to execute. Let’s start the Mojo!
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- kaiser buns
Method Of Preparation
- In a large saute pan, add 2 tablespoon of olive oil, onions, red bell pepper and cook on medium heat till tender.
- Add lentils, tomato puree and water and stir.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture is sloppy and thick.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Butter and toast kaiser buns golden brown.
Simply fill up the kaiser buns with the lentil sloppy joe mix, serve with your choice of chips and pickles. I used white bean and lime chips with mine. Enjoy your vegan sloppy joe’s!