One of the most well know Puerto Rican dishes is Arroz Con Gandules. Little do most people know is that in my home land we grow and use pigeon peas for a variety of dishes. Say hello to rice and pigeon pea soup. This hearty, easy to make vegan soup is packed with good source energy to get you going for a busy day.
Rice is a staple in Puerto Rico, eaten on a daily basis by most people in the island. I love the versatility of rice, it can be savory or sweet and used in just about any recipe!
Here, we utilized rice in a soup with pigeon peas, a perennial legume that is grown in the Puerto Rico. Pigeon peas are high in plant based protein and have multiple health benefits.
Plantain grows wild almost everywhere in Puerto Rico. We make little dumplings in this dish that not only makes the soup delicious, but also help thicken it! I hope you enjoy this week of Caribbean-inspired dishes while I’m in Puerto Rico. Now let’s start the Mojo!
- 1 cup of medium grain rice
- 2 cups of green pigeon peas (you can use the canned ones found in the hispanic lane in your grocery store)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium white onion, small dice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and medium dice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, peeled and medium dice
- 1 green plantain, peeled, grated and made until bite size balls
- 2 culantro leaves, chopped (you can substitute with cilantro leaves)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced fine
- 2 tablespoons Spanish olives
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Method Of Preparation
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for about 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, spanish olives, culantro(or cilantro), pigeon peas, pumpkin, potatoes and rice.
- Turn up heat to high and add vegetable stock and water. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Add plantain balls to the pot, lower to medium heat and cover.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until rice and vegetables are cooked.
- Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
Serve on a large bowl with some toasted bread and your favorite hot sauce! You may garnish with some more freshly chopped culantro on top. I hope you like this easy caribbean-inspired dish. Enjoy this super easy rice and pigeon pea soup!