Here is one of the most requested vegan food that people ask me to cook: Vegan Chili! In this plant based recipe, I use black beans and lentils, two of my favorite legumes. For the cheddar cheese I use Go Veggie, and for the sour cream, Tofutti. I was never a fan of mock meat and cheeses, let alone fake sour cream. But let me tell you this surprised me! If you are struggling with transitioning to a plant based lifestyle, give these substitutes a try!
A Plant Based Alternative
Like most people that are in the journey of transitioning to a plant based diet, they cannot let go of the fact that they are not able to eat cheese anymore. Enter the plant based alternatives! There are many types of vegan cheese out there, so I will not dabble too much on that topic here. Some facts about Go Veggie vegan cheese include: 50% less fat than regular cheeses, no cholesterol, lactose or gluten and 85% less saturated fats.
A Tiny Giant
I cannot express how much I love lentils, and here’s why! Several studies have demonstrated that the consumption of lentil is immensely connected to the reduction in the incidence of diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cancers and cardiovascular diseases due to its bioactive compounds. One cup of cooked lentils contain 37% of your daily recommended intake of iron, 18 grams of plant based protein and wide range of vitamins and minerals. This makes lentils a highly nutrient dense food that will keep you feeling full throughout the day. Did I mention lentils are super cheap?!
I hope you incorporate this amazing legume to your diet as it has many positive health benefits in your body. Now let’s start the Mojo!
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup white onion, small dice
- 1 large tomato, small dice
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- vegan cheddar cheese (optional)
- vegan sour cream(optional)
Method Of Preparation
- In a large pot, on medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes to evaporate their water.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for a minute to cook off some of the acidity.
- Add lentils and black beans, then turn heat to high and add the vegetable stock.
- Season with chili seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes constantly stirring until the chili achieves the desired consistency.
Serve hot in a small bowl, you may garnish with green onions, vegan cheddar cheese and sour cream for a nostalgic taste you will love. I hope you all enjoy this easy vegan chili!