Spinach is by far my favorite leafy green! It is so versatile, readily available and inexpensive. You can do many things with spinach from smoothies, salads, stews and even desserts, although I recommend eating it raw. This makes spinach a great plant based food!
But above all else, spinach packs a nutritional punch that we all have known about for a very long time.
You don’t need to be a sailor
Remember Popeye? Well, you don’t need to be a sailor to reap the benefits of spinach! Eating spinach may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, help prevent cancer and reduce blood pressure levels.
Spinach is also a good source dietary fiber which are known to be protective against certain gastrointestinal diseases.
A natural multivitamin
I consume spinach everyday as my multivitamin teamed up with other plant based food, helping me get all the vitamins and minerals I need to keep going throughout the day.
Spinach is loaded with many of vitamins and minerals, containing high amounts of Vitamin A, C, K1, Folic acid, iron and calcium! The bottom line is: EAT YOUR SPINACH.
Now let’s start the Plant Based Mojo!
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 5 cups ready to eat organic baby spinach
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup plant based trail mix
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- pinch of black pepper (optional)
Method Of Preparation
- To make the dressing: Mix together lime juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, Himalayan salt and black pepper.
- In a very slow stream, whisk in extra virgin olive oil until properly emulsified.
- Taste the simple dressing for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Toss the spinach salad with some of the mustard maple dressing until lightly coated.
Garnish with more sliced apples and hemp seeds if desired. Enjoy your plant based raw salad!